May 29, 2024, 03:24:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ideas for setting up online organic chemistry tutoring?  (Read 3216 times)

Offline spirochete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +51/-9
Ideas for setting up online organic chemistry tutoring?
« on: August 27, 2013, 06:53:44 PM »
I have had a fair bit of success as an independent tutor for college level organic chemistry. I would like to expand to the online market, but I can't figure out a good way to do it.

Has anyone done this and made it work? My goal is to be able to watch students working out problems and guide them along in an effective way. Any advice is appreciated.

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
Re: Ideas for setting up online organic chemistry tutoring?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 01:12:49 AM »
You can use a resource which we use in industry called Goto meeting.

There are others but this is one that I use occasionally. You can view any attendees screen, talk give control of the computer to any attendee, use webcams etc.

I think you can use a free trial version for a while but then you will need to purchase a licence.
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 08:51:19 AM »
I have had a fair bit of success as an independent tutor for college level organic chemistry. I would like to expand to the online market, but I can't figure out a good way to do it.

Has anyone done this and made it work? My goal is to be able to watch students working out problems and guide them along in an effective way. Any advice is appreciated.

Or use Skype. Cheap and easy though not as polished.

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 02:56:17 PM »

Back in the day my university used http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keller_Plan this to take students through Organic Chem in stages. I imagine that in the digital age it could be enhanced greatly.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Sponsored Links