June 04, 2024, 07:36:34 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Spectral Absorbance  (Read 3406 times)

Offline Dogworld

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Spectral Absorbance
« on: September 16, 2013, 03:38:49 AM »
Hello. I have a problem that I am trying to complete a write-up for, but want to ensure I am heading in the right direction. Basically, The problem states that there are two compounds, both with the same empirical and molecular formula; however each has a different spectral absorbance. My thought is that this is related to the difference in weight of the compounds. Am I thinking correctly? Thanks.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +534/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Spectral Absorbance
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 11:19:12 AM »
If two compounds have the same molecular formula, how can they have different molecular weights?  And even if they did, why would this explicitly account for a different spectral absorbance?

Why don't you reproduce the problem here exactly, rather than paraphrasing?
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 06:42:02 PM »
Clearly the difference will be due to isomerism of some kind, which is completely to be expected - different isomers will of course absorb different amounts of light at a certain wavelength.

The exact case is up to your problem.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 09:50:09 PM »
Clearly the difference will be due to isomerism of some kind, which is completely to be expected - different isomers will of course absorb different amounts of light at a certain wavelength.
Not necessarily.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 12:31:54 AM »
Not necessarily.

different isomers will mayof course absorb different amounts of light

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 12:29:38 PM »
Not necessarily.

Ok, you know what I mean.  ;D What about isotopomers, do they ever have different absorbance coefficients at the same wavelength?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 01:58:40 PM »
Depends on the spectral range. UV-visible? In most cases, no.  IR or microwave? Yes, frequently, of course.

Sponsored Links