September 20, 2024, 08:56:59 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: substituent increased stability on the equatorial position true for only chairs?  (Read 2643 times)

Offline iScience

• Mole Snacks: +4/-22
is this just for the case of cyclohexane chairs or are all substituents on any cycloalkane ring more stable on the equatorial position?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
What do you mean by stable?
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline iScience

• Mole Snacks: +4/-22
lower in energy.

we're learning about aromatic conformations and where the substituents should go on them. and one of the things i remember hearing was that the substituents want to be on the equatorial position; and i heard this over and over when we were working with chair conformations of hexane, but i was wondering if this was true for all the other ring conformations like boat, cyclopentane, cycloheptane, cycloocane, etc etc

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Yes, the equatorial position is usually lower energy than the axial.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline TwistedConf

• Mole Snacks: +10/-2
we're learning about aromatic conformations and where the substituents should go on them. and one of the things i remember hearing was that the substituents want to be on the equatorial position; and i heard this over and over when we were working with chair conformations of hexane, but i was wondering if this was true for all the other ring conformations like boat, cyclopentane, cycloheptane, cycloocane, etc etc

Not "aromatic"...  cyclic.

Cyclohexane chairs are uniquely un-strained in their special "chair" conformations... with specific "axial" and "equatorial" positions. All cyclic alkanes do preferentially adopt conformations that minimize steric and torsional strain...  but those conformations are not typically called "chair" conformations with axial/equatorial positions like a ring of 6.

Sponsored Links