June 15, 2024, 10:41:00 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Dry CO2 absorber  (Read 3214 times)

Offline applebear

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Dry CO2 absorber
« on: November 23, 2013, 11:29:28 PM »
I have this need to transport live animals on an airtight containers. This caused an obvious problem, the build up of CO2... any suggestion as how i might reduce that?

What i have done so far are:
1. spray little quantity of lime water inside the container before sealing it with minimal success
2. let lose powdered CaOH, again with minimal success.

The use of a bottled/contained lime water has not been experimented because the possibilities of the bottle toppling over.. unless you guys have a suggestion that allows CO2 to enter the container but not letting the lime water spilling over. Is there any semi permeable membrane that allows that?

What would be the best is if there is a dry substance i can use in generous quantity to be added in the the container before sealing it.

Please remember that there would be a live animal inside the container so if the substance is too harmful, it would be difficult to accommodate it.. unless we can separate the chemical from the animal, allowing only CO2 to mix with the chemical.

please help me out.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Dry CO2 absorber
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 12:50:25 AM »

Offline applebear

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 01:38:33 AM »
There are 2 issues in doing so

1. Cost, the container itself wont be returned by the customers.
2. I'd prefer that the CO2 management system to be discreet. I will be honest, i wouldn't want my customers to know the system as to keep the trade secret.

any other suggestions?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1804/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 03:34:20 AM »
The only thing I can think of is already mentioned on the rebreather page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebreather#Rebreathers_using_an_absorbent_that_releases_oxygen

Metal box with holes in the lead, filled with the KO2. As far as I know such systems were used in space programs and on submarines.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 06:26:23 AM »
We've discussed this topic at least once before: http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=64801.0  And we came up with much the same conclusions then that we have this time.  There are a variety of well known techniques for this task, but they're expensive, problematic to execute, and require special handling by the carrier.  And a DIY technique just adds another layer of complexity.  If you define the problem with the carrier, I'm sure something can be worked out.  Except, just like in the other thread, you feel the need to keep it a trade secret -- for a topic that is already well-known.  Sorry, but chemistry can't solve every problem.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 09:11:34 AM »
I hope the animals have enough oxygen to survive the trip.

Sponsored Links