June 15, 2024, 07:09:48 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Boiling point  (Read 2156 times)

Offline tamubsa

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Boiling point
« on: December 05, 2013, 01:48:17 PM »
Why does Ne have a lower boiling point than CH4? Since they both only have dispersion forces, shouldn't the one with the lower molar mass have the lower boiling point? I'm a little confused. Thanks in advance!

Offline Kate

• Mole Snacks: +8/-3
Re: Boiling point
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 01:55:39 PM »
I don't know, but maybe because Ne is a noble gas and atoms of Ne don't form covalent bonds between themselves.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +535/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 02:45:51 PM »
Why does Ne have a lower boiling point than CH4? Since they both only have dispersion forces, ...
Not all dispersion forces are created equal. Mass is often used as a surrogate for size, which is the more important consideration.  Neon may weigh more, but methane is bigger.  It's electrons are more diffuse, it is more polarizeable, and hence the magnitude of its dispersion forces are larger.  It is more sticky as a result, and thus takes more energy to boil.

That's my hand-waving argument, anyway.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline tamubsa

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 04:32:57 PM »
That makes sense. Thank you.

Offline Kate

• Mole Snacks: +8/-3
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 10:57:36 AM »
I don't know, but maybe because Ne is a noble gas and atoms of Ne don't form covalent bonds between themselves.

I just realized the stupidity of what I wrote, confusing intermolecular bonds with intramolecular ones.  ::)

Sponsored Links