June 03, 2024, 05:43:23 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Bridged compound transofrmation mechanism  (Read 5791 times)

Offline Rutherford

• Mole Snacks: +60/-29
Bridged compound transofrmation mechanism
« on: December 25, 2013, 07:30:06 AM »
What is the mechanism of the transformation below? KOH and ethylene glycol hydrolyze the cyano group to a carboxylic group, but what happens in the following step?
How can H2/Pt remove the iodine afterwards?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Bridged compound transofrmation mechanism
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 07:33:34 AM »
The next step, with base and iodine is an iodolactonisation.
There is no H2/Pt in your scheme.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Rutherford

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 07:36:17 AM »
It is after this transformation. So how does H2 remove the iodine?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 07:46:38 AM »
It is after this transformation. So how does H2 remove the iodine?

Normal hydrogenation causes de-iodination, presumably on the metal surface, pick your mechanism.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Rutherford

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 09:03:43 AM »
So it is hydrogenolysis? Can't think of the mechanism for it. I need help.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 09:50:51 AM »

Yes.

I am a lumper. I prefer to write mechanism that have as large a degree of consistency with other chemistry as I can. In my book, I suggest palladium reacts similarly in hydrogenation reactions as it does in the Heck reaction. I had believed the Heck reaction mechanism may be one of the better elucidated mechanisms. If so, the zero valence palladium inserts into the C-I bond, H2 coordinates with Pd, exchange reaction as in Heck (pdt forms), and reductive elimination returns zero valence palladium. If this is so, then you may expect the donation of electrons in the insertion to have a similar reactivity as the halides (I>Br>Cl>>>F) in Grignard formation.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline Rutherford

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 11:04:18 AM »

H2 coordinates with Pd, exchange reaction as in Heck (pdt forms), and reductive elimination returns zero valence palladium.
Hm... In Heck reaction, this step seems as an electrophilic addition to a double bond, but here, as a sigmatropic shift, as there are only sigma bond. This seems somewhat strange to me. I though more of a free-radical mechanism.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 12:54:40 PM by Raderford »

Offline Rutherford

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 01:17:16 PM »
I found an image where the hydrogenolysis mechanism is repsresented so that the hydrogen molecule is incorporated between the atoms of the bond going to be broken. How reasonable this seems? I can't make a judge.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 05:59:08 PM »

H2 coordinates with Pd, exchange reaction as in Heck (pdt forms), and reductive elimination returns zero valence palladium.
Hm... In Heck reaction, this step seems as an electrophilic addition to a double bond, but here, as a sigmatropic shift, as there are only sigma bond. This seems somewhat strange to me. I though more of a free-radical mechanism.

That is how I see it. In a Heck reaction, a double bond adds or coordinates with the Pd. In reduction, H2 adds to Pd.

Go to the Wikipedia example (showing bromobenzene). Don't pay a lot of attention to the groups reacting, per se. Consider them as sources of electrons. If H2 replaces the olefin in the mechanism, then the equivalent to intermediate 2 can react with it as shown for step B. The product of that reaction will be benzene and HPdBr. Reductive elimination of HBr gives zero valence Pd. The zero valence Pd can insert again to continue the cycle.

In a catalytic cycle, the zero valence Pd inserts into H2. You may think of H2 as though it were the smallest halogen. If you again compare this with the Heck catalytic cycle, now the alkene coordinates as shown in Wikipedia. Addition of H2 can give the same reaction you are interested in. In the absence of sufficient H2, the addition can reverse and explain how catalytic reduction can convert a cis olefin to trans.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline Rutherford

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 08:53:24 AM »
Wouldn't a hydride ion need to leave Pd at the end (like the bromide ion is at the end of Heck reaction)? That, again seems strange.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 09:10:35 AM »
Wouldn't a hydride ion need to leave Pd at the end (like the bromide ion is at the end of Heck reaction)? That, again seems strange.

Like a Heck reaction, yes, hydride no. The Heck in Wikipedia loses HBr in the end to regenerate zero valence Pd. In your deiodination reaction, Pd loses HI. It loses a proton and a halide, not a hydride and halogen(+).

If you are comparing the hydrogenation reaction, a Pd•H2 complex doesn't need to lose anything to return to zero valence, it is already able to react with an alkene. How and why these coordination/valence changes occur is something for an inorganic chemist to explain.

Offline Rutherford

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 09:29:41 AM »
Ah, right, it doesn't need to. I always thought that hydrogenation happens through free-radical mechanism (adsorption on metal surface), why isn't that the case?

Offline Rutherford

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 06:20:18 AM »
In the Heck mechanism the palladium is not in metal form but it's a complex compound with ligands coordinated to palladium. Is the mechanism the same for the metal and complex form of palladium?

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 10:21:43 AM »
I assume an alkene coordinates with Pd the same way a ligand does. If a ligand binds too tightly, it will stop the reaction. The details of the Heck reaction tell us about palladium chemistry. I assume it applies to hydrogenation and hydrogenolysis.

Offline Rutherford

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 02:46:10 PM »
Interesting. Thank you for the explanations.

Sponsored Links