June 17, 2024, 04:51:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: help with isopropyl nitrite,  (Read 3703 times)

Offline barrel browner

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
help with isopropyl nitrite,
« on: January 12, 2014, 01:53:58 PM »
Hi I am not sure if I have posted in the right place, I am looking into isopropyl nitrite, what is in it and how it is made, what is the difference between this and amyl nitrite? I know you can buy isopropyl nitrite on the net in the form of say liquid gold what is the purity of this ? can you buy a pure form of isopropyl nitrite? and where? thanks in advance.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: help with isopropyl nitrite,
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 02:10:32 PM »
Hi I am not sure if I have posted in the right place,

You've been here only a little while, but this forum does have rules, and you should look into them carefully.  But I'll take your questions point by point so you can see why we have rules.

I am looking into isopropyl nitrite, what is in it

It's a pure chemical, and some information is found here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_nitrate  You could have started there, and seen what you needed help with to understand.  It appears to be a powerful, almost an explosive.  We don't casually talk about those on this forum.

and how it is made,

It's made by organic synthesis, and that is a difficult concept to teach by forum postings.  Usually, it takes at least two university semesters to even have a glimmer of the concepts required.  That's why we have a rule about not asking us to "tell me everything", most useful concepts are too lengthy to explain that way.

what is the difference between this and amyl nitrite?

Well, the name for one thing.  ;D  Also, what the compound is and how its made, as well.  You can look for that one as well.  Note that amyl nitrate is a drug of abuse, and we try not to talk too casually about those.  You you might as well have left amyl nitrate out of the discussion, if you really have no clue.

I know you can buy isopropyl nitrite on the net in the form of say liquid gold what is the purity of this ?

Oh, is that's what is in Liquid Gold finishing?  Well, I learned something today.  So thanks. You tend to ask questions about finishing products, so I defer to your experience. What does the label list as purity?  It might do that for you you know.

can you buy a pure form of isopropyl nitrite? and where? thanks in advance.

You can by chemicals from laboratory suppliers.  If you have the credentials to satisfy them that you can handle the chemicals safely, and you pay them what they want.  Its unlikely a home user will satisfy their need for credentials.  But if you have a business address, they may ship it to you.

Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline barrel browner

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 02:45:31 PM »
Thank you for your reply, your right I should have read the rules first, I apologise I have been trying to perfect a metal finishing formula for many years and tend to get a bit of tunnel vision ! with my limited knowledge I believe it is an oxidising agent too? I have used it in my formula for a year with perfect results, hence my questions re the purity of what you can buy online,  as recently my formula has ceased to work properly, I was just trying to understand what affect it has in my process, I understand it is a drug of abuse I should have thought of that before posting, I do buy my chemicals from lab suppliers but these days getting info and help is hard going, I am trying to keep a 160 year old business going hence asking for help here, thank you for taking the time to reply.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 03:28:31 AM »
I am looking into isopropyl nitrite, what is in it

It's a pure chemical, and some information is found here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_nitrate  You could have started there, and seen what you needed help with to understand.  It appears to be a powerful, almost an explosive.  We don't casually talk about those on this forum.

Just in case there is some confusion here, isopropyl nitrite and isopropyl nitrate are not the same.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links