March 29, 2024, 03:48:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Closed My TOPIC  (Read 13210 times)

Bio_Virus

Closed My TOPIC
« on: April 13, 2006, 02:53:03 PM »
Hey,

kk i ealier opened a topic in which ..qoute

"im trying to find online journals on rubber technology, such as natural rubber making etc. Ive searched but all the online sites want subscriptions , which want money $$

does any one know where i can get free journals"

i then got the reply from mitch...qoute

"Soliciting copyright material is against forum policy. Topic Closed."

now i need to ask,,,even though journals are copyright, there are alot of journals that may be freely read by the public, and so copyright shouldnt take into affect unless the journal is copied,hence copyright.
all i was asking was if there were any sites that had journals on the subject, how does that Infringe your forum policy? please correct me if im wrong.

not jumping to conclusions but i think your forum policy needs a rethink. after all this is a forum to discuss issues.

and plus you closed the topic, not very fair

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re: Closed My TOPIC
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 03:15:10 PM »
go to your university library.

you should be able to view online journals using computers at your university library.

unfortunately, most research materials are copyrighted.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Bio_Virus

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 03:29:47 PM »
hey,,

well I'm not in university,I'm doing my A levels and not sure if ill be allowed access to a uni library?

Ive tried and asked my local  library for material on the subject with no luck, which is a bit strange as its a main library.

I'm not sure on copy right regulations but there are websites that allow the public to freely read their journals, i just cant find them. i  previously wrote an essay on pesticides and there were many journals available on the internet

Does any one know any sites i may visit?

p.s thanks for the advice geodome

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 03:33:27 PM »
Any local science research university will have a Chemistry section packed with books and journals for you to read. They were created before the internet and have much more information in them then you'll find on the internet. Local public libraries will not have anything you are looking for.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 03:35:10 PM by Mitch »
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Bio_Virus

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 03:45:55 PM »
hey,

thanks for all the help, really appreciated, hopefully ill be able to go down to a uni and get some research material.

;D

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 04:01:44 PM »
Personally, I think that if the original question was 'Where can I find online journals that are legal to access for free?' then that should be ok.  If the question really is 'Where can I break in and get pirate copies?', then not ok.  The OP wasn't too clear on this point, however.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 05:09:42 PM »
I believe the threadstarter wants to access research material.

Since it is forum policy to not  facilitate illegal access to copyrighted materials, we should advise him on how to obtain copyrighted research material via free legitimate means. Ref: http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=3190.0

My university library allows a member of the public to access the library provided he signs the visitor's book. He must be able to prove his identity by showing identification documentation such as the passport or driving license. However, he cannot borrow books.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 02:29:25 PM by geodome »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 05:12:52 PM »
Since it is forum policy to facilitate illegal access to copyrighted materials...

:P
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Bio_Virus

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 05:23:23 PM »
hey all,,

well i genuinely and legitimately only want to read  any journals on rubber technology, i have to anyways as I'm writing a essay on Natural and synthetic rubber for chemistry coursework... Resources is really vital.

and to be frank i ccouldn't even dream of copying any material as it will be moderatedby the examiners, and they will probally catch me out.

i was basically hoping to find information on the chemical make up of rubber...polymers structures etc.

anyways, going to alibrary at a uni will prob be my best shot at getting any journals

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 05:37:30 PM »
Are you sure you need access to scientific journals? No idea what's your level of education, but you may be dissapointed by the papers - chances are they are so specialized they will be of no use for you. I bet it may be enough if you will look at some good textbook on polymers and then - knowing what keywords to look for - check google scholar or something similar.

Check this post:
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=8015.msg36101#msg36101
and fetch both papers in pdf, you will see what I mean.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Bio_Virus

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 07:07:29 PM »
hey,,

thanks for that link, although i bit out of my context,

However its actually made me think that i could explain rubber technology through tyres, synthetic rubber especially.

Sponsored Links