April 18, 2024, 12:03:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: {post blanked by author}  (Read 8088 times)

Offline Carruthers

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-2
{post blanked by author}
« on: July 15, 2015, 01:15:21 PM »
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 08:00:32 AM by Arkcon »

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: grade 12 thermochemistry question (sorry it's so long)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 03:44:34 PM »
And? What have you got so far: ice mass, necessary heat, combustion enthalpy? Are you stuck somewhere?

The only doubtful point is whether the heat transfer is good enough to condense the combustion vapour. (OK, and how to burn sucrose properly in the wild, and why undertake this effort despite maritime routes don't pass any near to the Antarctica).

Breaking an iceberg in tiny chunks that melt quickly take an energy amount less unreasonable than melting the ice.

Sorry I don't give you an answer, but this forum wants you solve the problem, with only hints from other members.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 03:56:16 PM by Enthalpy »

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
Re: .
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 04:14:12 AM »
Now that Carruthers has removed the question, my answer elements look a bit weird indeed.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 06:27:11 AM »
@Enthalpy
Do you have a copy of the original question?
If not can we delete this as we did before?

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 11:14:56 AM »
This is why it's a useful practice to quote the entirety of the OP when responding to a HW-type problem.  Occasionally, posters will delete the original question once they get an answer, perhaps either to prevent their instructors from knowing they sought help or to prevent their classmates from being helped by the answer.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 11:26:03 AM »
Actually, I sometimes dislike quoting everything.  Its unfair if the poster removes the question, or worse, edits it to include info that the responder questioned, that just makes the responder look like an idiot, and the O.P. some sort of martyr -- "Wah, wah, I posted a good full question and they didn't even read it."

However, post after post of quote of a quote of a quote, sometimes just to add, "Yeah" creates a multi-page thread, that answers nothing.  Seriously, sort any sub-forum by number of posts, and look at the longest threads.  The threads with the most pages aren't the best threads, they're often the worst, as people lose track of what was asked, and what was answered.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 11:48:47 AM »
However, post after post of quote of a quote of a quote, sometimes just to add, "Yeah" creates a multi-page thread

I think the initial question would only have to be quoted once, not every time. It's a partial solution to the problem.

I think we discussed user post deletion before (we should call it self-immolative posting), and the consensus was that it is so infrequent that we would not put an official system in place to combat it.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 12:09:19 PM »
Sometimes it is possible to restore the content from the google cache, this time it didn't work.

Edit: this is tough - I can try to add some kind of a plugin that will do the copy of the first post to the database, so that it can be restored. However, some edits are valid, so saving only the initial version won't always work.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 01:30:43 PM »
However, some edits are valid, so saving only the initial version won't always work.

Valid, however, for cases like this one, its OK to lose subsequent edits, its just the loss of the only input that leaves us with nothing to add to the forum.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 02:23:22 PM »
I'd tend to agree with Dan that it happens infrequently enough that it's not worth worrying about unless it suddenly becomes much more frequent.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 03:42:25 PM »
I don't have a full copy of the original question. Nor was it so important neither, so for me, it could just vanish as was first done - sorry for the fuss. Unless this case serves as an illustration for a different discussion.

Sponsored Links