May 29, 2024, 01:17:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I'm not great but I want to go to Grad School  (Read 2673 times)

Offline DCATNacar

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I'm not great but I want to go to Grad School
« on: October 16, 2015, 05:41:38 PM »
I'm an undergraduate student working on a degree in chemistry and materials science and engineering. I have always loved physical chemistry and applied computer systems. I am not an exceptional student. I'm not the student with 4.0 grades or even close. The most I have been able to produce is a 3.3 but I recently realized that I want to go to grad school. Specifically, I want to get a masters on theoretical chemistry and computational modelling for integration with other research fields (which is mostly available outside my country).
I have a couple of detractors. (1) I don't have exceptional grades. (2) I don't have that much background in computational modelling outside of my current thesis. (3) My family is not rich enough to fund my grad school so I can only rely on scholarships that can give me living expenses. (4) I also live in a third world country making mobility and number of scholarships limited. (5) I want to be a professor in my home country and try to help it but I don't think the prospects of theoretical chemistry research in a third world country where it will most likely not be funded is good.
I really really want it. I love the work so far. I love the stress. The questions. The frustration. The ups and downs. I have learned to embrace it and although I value it for its applications I don't know if I'm fit for it with all the detractors I have. :(
So here's the question: Do I just give up? and since I love research just get the easier method of taking my masters here (where there is a limited amount of courses, instruments, etc.)? or does anyone have any ideas?

Offline Benzene Martini

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
Re: I'm not great but I want to go to Grad School
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 10:45:09 PM »
Just get a MS in Analytical Chemistry and work for a drug company for a few years. Save up some money and go back for the degree in theoretical chemistry.

Sponsored Links