June 17, 2024, 01:52:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: protonic balance in a buffer solution  (Read 1805 times)

Offline xshadow

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
protonic balance in a buffer solution
« on: February 15, 2016, 05:47:18 PM »
For a buffer solution:
HA and Na+A-

How can i calculate the protonic balance quickly in order to calculate pH??

I have to do the protonic balance of HA and NaA and than adds them?

B.P HA+H2O   --->  [A-] + [OH-]= [H+]
B.P A-+H2O  ---> [OH-]= [H+] + [HA]

To get the PB of the Buffet solution I have to add the two protonic balance  that I have found'??
Thanks

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: protonic balance in a buffer solution
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 07:13:42 PM »
Just write down Ka for Bronsted acid present in a buffer solution (molecular acid or ionic one eg [NH4+]), then rearrange equation for [H3O+]. And you will obtain equation that in logarithmic form is known as Henderson-Hasselbach equation that works for most buffer solutions.
Note - using Ka for Bronsted acid present in buffer solution you need only one equation for practically all "student" buffers.

http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=pH-calculation&right=pH-buffers-henderson-hasselbalch
AWK

Offline xshadow

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: protonic balance in a buffer solution
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 06:14:15 AM »
Just write down Ka for Bronsted acid present in a buffer solution (molecular acid or ionic one eg [NH4+]), then rearrange equation for [H3O+]. And you will obtain equation that in logarithmic form is known as Henderson-Hasselbach equation that works for most buffer solutions.
Note - using Ka for Bronsted acid present in buffer solution you need only one equation for practically all "student" buffers.

http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=pH-calculation&right=pH-buffers-henderson-hasselbalch

thanks AWK :)

Sponsored Links