June 06, 2024, 06:35:09 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mercury determinations using bacteria: some problems  (Read 9123 times)

Qemko

Mercury determinations using bacteria: some problems
« on: May 29, 2006, 10:22:54 AM »

I'm currently trying to study mercury conversion by bacteria using CV-AFS. I've tried  some different  containers ( tests without using bacteria) like  glass (20ml capacity),  PP  (polypropilene) (10ml) and PVC containers (40ml). I usually use 15 or 6.3ml of muller hinton media  (a rich medium, pH=7), and inject HgCl2 to work with a concentration between 800 and 1000ppb of mercury. The vessels are placed horizontally with an orbital agitation of 120rpm and at 37ÂșC.
 I keep taking aliquots of 1ml at 0, 24 and 48H. The problem is the mercury levels keep falling after sample analysis, to a point that at 48 hours i only have between 30 to 50% in glass, and in polymer between 10-30%.
Can disproportionation of mercury account for these losses. I tried washing the vessels after the test with HNO3 and water (50:50) at 65% but i can only recover between 10 and 30% of mercury, therefore probably adsorbed.
Are the aliquots i take too much?
My teacher says i'm crazy, and that the error must be human (meaning, mine)., but i have already a lot of tests, that even though are not very reproductible corroborate a permanent loss of mercury. All these tests without bacteria.
Can anybody give me a hand here?!

(my teacher is freakin out! She states that she used those vessels to keep biological samples in the freezer, and that there was never a loss above 10% of mercury). :P ???

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1804/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Mercury determinations using bacteria: some problems
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 10:45:03 AM »
HgCl2

(...)

Can disproportionation of mercury account for these losses.

Disproportionation? HgCl2 or Hg2Cl2?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Qemko

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 10:53:59 AM »
HgCl2

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 11:11:13 AM »
HgCl2

What disproportionation reaction do you expect?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Qemko

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 11:20:25 AM »
HgCl2

What disproportionation reaction do you expect?

i expect that due to the fact that i'm using a rich organic medium Hg2+ will obtain electrons and reduce itself, formaing hg(0) volatilizing from the container when i remove the samples. Of course that in a growth medium mercury will form a lot of chemical complexs with proteins and other substances. The main question remains, if i can't obtain the initial mercury concentration what is happenning to mercury. A researcher in thios field has pointed out disproportionation of mercury has the most probable cause. I just what to know if someone have obtained strange results working with mercury in bacterial detoxification experiments.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 11:33:45 AM »
i expect that due to the fact that i'm using a rich organic medium Hg2+ will obtain electrons and reduce itself, formaing hg(0)

That's hardly disproportionation. Disproportionation means the same compound acts as oxidizer and reducer and the same time, like in this case:

Hg2Cl2 -> Hg + HgCl2

The main question remains, if i can't obtain the initial mercury concentration what is happenning to mercury. A researcher in thios field has pointed out disproportionation of mercury has the most probable cause.

Sorry, can't be of help - just wanted to clarify terminology. I understand your problem but have no idea about what is happening. Have you tried to do the experiment using just DI water?

Qemko

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 11:45:56 AM »
I always use DI water   ;D

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 11:52:48 AM »
DI water WITHOUT media.

Qemko

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 12:20:38 PM »
DI water WITHOUT media.

Well i also tried using only DI water in a separate test and didn't had such low results of mercury recuperation, even though the samples reanalysed, showed variations in mercury content.
It' one of those things..~

Sponsored Links