April 25, 2024, 06:19:43 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Got back from the shooting range.  (Read 30012 times)

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Got back from the shooting range.
« on: January 15, 2006, 08:53:31 PM »
I'm currently in the process of obtaining my pistol permit here in the State of Connecticut, and the first part of that process was attending an officially licensed pistol use and safety course taught by a licensed NRA member.  The course was a five hour course that went over every aspect of owning a handgun and the laws associated with it, as well as safety and the science of firearms.  The best part was the end of the course, where upon successfull completion of the examination, we were allowed to go down to the shooting range underneath the classroom and fire a selection of different guns.  The guns at our disposal were a .22 caliber single action revolver, a .357 double action revolver, a .38 Special single action revolver, and a 9mm double action Berretta.  Of all the guns, I have the say that the .22 caliber is the wussiest of them all.  Yes it can do some serious damage, but it just felt very weak and pathetic.  When fired, there was little to no kickback and not a whole lot of "oomph" felt by the shooter.  Now the .38 Special, however, felt GREAT!  That thing has some SERIOUS "oomph" to it and you can feel it in your chest when you fire the gun.  Looking at the target, getting hit by a .38 Special would surely leave you dead.  The .38 also kicked out a good deal of light and smoke when fired and was just very satisfying.  While the 9mm Berretta had a LOT more kick to it and was neat how it flung the spent casing out automatically, the .357 and .38 Special just felt really comfortable to shoot and had a great result.  With my tax return in a few months I hope to be able to afford a nice .357 magnum revolver, preferably a Smith & Wesson.  I'll have to see what I can afford.   ;D
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re:Got back from the shooting range.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 09:08:04 PM »
What do you need the pistol permit for? Is it for work?
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 09:45:47 PM »
You need a pistol permit in order to legally own a handgun.  I want to own a nice .357 or .44 magnum revolver, and in order to legally do that I need to have a permit.  In addition, just going to a shooting range and firing off a few boxes of ammo is really cathartic and kind of interesting.  A few of the people I hang out with are into guns and target shooting and I thought it would be interesting to see what it is all about.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 09:54:03 PM »
OK, sounds exciting. I am not really into guns so I don't really know what .357 and .44 means, I assume it is some sort of measurement/diameter or such? Do you fire at stationary targets or is it that "clay pigeon" shooting?

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 08:45:52 AM »
Yup, the numeric designation is a measurement of the diameter of the bullet being fired.  A .357 is .357 inches wide, a .44 is .44 inches wide, and a 9mm is 9 millimeters wide.  The wider the bullet is, typically the bigger the bullet is.  So a .50 caliber round is considered a VERY large bullet and as such it requires a great deal of force to get it going.  The larger the bullet, the heavier it is and the more gunpowder is needed to propel it forward.  As a result, the higher caliber bullets have much more kickback in the gun since a bigger explosion happens.  When firing, you will definitely feel the kick to it as your hand and the gun are propelled upwards.  With the high power, however, the bullet gets a great deal more energy into it so it will penetrate a lot deeper and do a LOT more damage.  

For the targets, you can either shoot at moving clay targets or at stationary ones.  I'm just getting into the physical firing of guns so I just shoot at targets which are at the opposite end of the shooting range.  It's just a standard 8.5x11 sheet of paper I'm shooting at with a bullseye and point totals printed on the paper.  So I just shoot at those and try and maintain some accuracy and precision in my shots.  Once I've got my permit and have had enough hours on the shooting range, then I'll move forward to the clay target practice.   ;D

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 09:00:52 PM »
A regular .22 is only meant for small game hunting. It's the smallest bullet excluding buckshot. Though on the other hand if you go a step up and purchase a .22 magnum those can blast some serious holes in plywood. Jdurg I'm sure that a .357 magnum will not dissapoint you at all. My cousin showed some pictures he took of some unsuspecting trees. He fired his .357 magnum (handgun now) into a small tree probably 6 or 7 inches in diameter. The tree wasn't standing after.  ;D

Also some snipers during World War II used .22's. Probably so as not give away there position and so the bullet wouldn't go through the targets head/body. Exit wound mean energy that wasn't put into the target. Even wounding a guy could have a tremendous phsychological effect on the guys around him. Especially if the wounded was screaming. Then you'd have to haul him to a medical camp. Wounding was consider almost as good as killing according to my grandfather who knew a guy that was a sniper in WWII. He was an engineer and landed on Omaha beach in Normandy during the 2nd wave.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 09:04:25 PM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 09:09:32 PM »
Also some snipers during World War II used .22's. Probably so as not give away there position and so the bullet wouldn't go through the targets head/body. Exit wound mean energy that wasn't put into the target. Even wounding a guy could have a tremendous phsychological effect on the guys around him. Especially if the wounded was screaming. Then you'd have to haul him to a medical camp. Wounding was consider almost as good as killing according to my grandfather who knew a guy that was a sniper in WWII. He was an engineer and landed on Omaha beach in Normandy during the 2nd wave.

how awful  :'(

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 08:34:44 AM »
I've looked around and I've already picked out the two guns that I would like to buy.  My pistol will be a Walther PPK .357/.38.  It's a nice, compact gun with good power and as a fan of the James Bond series it holds a special place in my heart.   ;D  My revolver will be a Ruger Blackhawk .44 magnum.  A great look with that blue steel makeup and the shear ass-kicking that any magnum revolver should have.  Both guns will cost about $600 each so it's one at a time for me.  Thank you tax return.   ;D

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 04:02:23 PM »
Nice jdurg nice. I personally would love to get a Walther P38 which was the german pistol during WWII. Mainly for historical reasons. As soon as I turn 18 I'm going to purchase my first gun. I've yet to decide, but it won't be expensive. I have a 35lb bow. I'm looking to go up to a 50 or 60 pounder soon. When I first purchase my 35 pounder it was a big step up from the 15 pounder I got way back when I turned 10. So the first arrow I shot when like 10 feet over the target. By the way my 35lb bow isn't a composite. Composite bows are to expensive for me.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 08:28:32 AM »
Yeah, I'm pretty psyched.  I've found out that I can get my Walther PPK for about $450 and the same for the Ruger Blackhawk.  I could potentially get both guns at once, but I think I'll start out with the PPK once my permit is approved and my tax return comes back.   ;D

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 09:27:57 AM »
I am fairly crap with longbows, as I have had just a little practise shooting em, but crossbows are great, I got my (now ex) other half a 50lb pistol-bow this christmas, that went down well, well, it did, just proved a little surprise for the relatives ;D

I am more into blades myself, but I have been thinking of getting myself a pair of neat pistol daggers online, as they are going for about $30, its basically a long, straight bladed dagger, with a flintlock barrel running parallel to the blade.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline Dude

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +42/-9
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 04:14:05 PM »
A Smith & Wesson model 686 .357 revolver is an excellent choice for home-defense.  I would recommend a revolver (you'll find that the spring-loaded cartridges in semis will jam periodically, even on old-reliables like the AK-47 rifle).  For target shooting, I was never very accurate with pistols.  I stay with carbines (a term for short rifle) and long rifles.    

Constant thinker:
Keep in mind that bullet impact depends on three things (KE = 1/2mv^2):
1.  the mass of the bullet - diameter typically scales with slug weight
2.  muzzle velocity (and this term is squared)
3.  how the lead shreds in the target (ie hollow points do more damage on gels).

There are several war rifles that are .22 caliber.  The muzzle velocities typically are over 1000 m/s (> 3000 ft/s) and will kill even large game instantly.  Pistols generally can't fire over 1,000 ft/s (unless a magnum , ie more powder in a gun with stronger steel).  My favorite type of target shooting gun is a "wussy" spring piston airgun (ie Beeman model R9).  A piston fires the projectile so you are only handling pellets (albeit lead) and no powder (a much safer situation).

I was always intrigued by gun laws.  In New Jersey, to legally buy a gun you have to apply for a gun permit (3 month wait) followed by individual pistol permits (an additional wait).  In Louisiana, you can buy rifles off the shelf with a 5 minute background check and pistols require a two day "Brady bill" wait.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 04:27:47 PM »
I was always intrigued by gun laws.  In New Jersey, to legally buy a gun you have to apply for a gun permit (3 month wait) followed by individual pistol permits (an additional wait).  In Louisiana, you can buy rifles off the shelf with a 5 minute background check and pistols require a two day "Brady bill" wait.

And in Europe in general it is very hard to get a permit. In Poland most people are turned down, and those that don't must do a routine psychological check every year or so.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 11:23:23 PM »
I don't know anyone with a gun here in Australia (I mean out of my circle of friends, of course there are guns here). I don't think they are popular here like in America, you certainly can't have one for defense of property! The police have guns here and farmers have guns too.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 02:05:17 PM »
Went out shooting again today.  I'm still in the process of getting my pistol permit but everything's in motion now so it should only take about 8 weeks.  In the meantime, it just means that if I want to shoot I have to shoot with a buddy of mine who does have a permit and has the guns.  So today I went and fired a rifle for the first time.  Of course my friend had me fire a 7mm Magnum Load cartridge which is REALLY friggen powerful so the kickback from the discharge was NUTS.  My right shoulder is KILLING me right now from the butt-end of the rifle firing back into me.  I will seriously need to build up the tissue there so that the recoil doesn't hurt as much.

After firing the rifle today, I think I realized why I enjoy it so much.  Firing a gun evokes a sense of power and control when you fire it, and it is a wonderful display of chemistry and physics.  When you pull the trigger, you initiate the decomposition of the lead styphnate primer which then causes the gunpowder to rapidly decompose inside the shell casing.  This creates an ENORMOUS amount of pressure which propels the bullet forward while forcing it to spin (rifiling) it at the same time.  It's shocking to realize that a bullet, if not stopped by something, could travel for miles after being fired.  At the end of my session today, the odor of spent gunpowder is infused in my clothing and skin.  I love that smell of sulfur oxides, nitrates, and burned powder.  ;D  Anyway, my buddy took a photo of me with his cell phone right as I was about to fire.  

Sponsored Links